Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Moving on. I've been tagged to share 8 things about myself! I shared 10 things a while ago, so I'm going to switch it up and share 8 things about myself as a Crestie, since I'm the only hairless on DWB and I'm feeling very informative today! These are all things unique to hairless Chinese Cresteds....
1. I don't pant. Ever. I sweat through my skin like the people. That's part of the reason I have to take so many baths.
2. There are two kinds of Chinese Cresteds - and they are born in the same litters - my kind, the hairless:
And the powder puff:
My dog-mom was a puff and my dog-dad was hairless. Every puff (and each hairless) has a hairless gene, but if the dog gets TWO hairless genes he will die. I don't know why, but it sounds sad.
3. We are very good climbers, and our front paws are compared to people hands a lot. They are really flexible and we can hold things VERY tightly. When Massah carries me upstairs (and down) I grab on to her neck and wrap my paws around it and hold on tight. And when I chew on toys I hold on to them with a very firm grasp.
4. Hairless have hair on the feet - called socks - on our tails - called plumes - and on our heads - called crests. Hence the name Chinese Crested.
5. The "Chinese" part of our name is a little misleading. From what everyone can tell, we originated in Africa - as bedwarmers, of all things! (Massah calls me her own personal, portable radiator!) We were then taken on ships to catch rats and made our way to China where we were bred to develope most of our unique characteristics.
6. Most Cresties have ears that stand up straight. Massah didn't want to tape my ears when she first got me because I wasn't in very good shape, and then she didn't have the heart to attach tampons to the inside of my ears when I got older, so I have floppy ears.
7. I've never gone more than 7 days without a bath. We're rather high-maintenance. If we don't get regular baths (I usually get mine of Mondays and Thursdays) then our skin will get really dry, we might start to smell musty (cause we sweat through our skin), we get acne, and our skin looks really gray and dull.
8. I'm in the Toy Catagory in the AKC but you never see us in dog shows. We're there! But they always take a commercial break when they show the Cresties. I don't know why. It makes me sad.
9. And last but not least, we're LAP DOGS! I love sitting on people's laps; it's one of my favoritest things ever. Cresties are NOT the kind of dog to get if you want to run with your dog or do lots of vigorous activities (like hiking) because we're pretty fragile and can get hurt easily, but if you want someone who will want to be by your side 24 hours a day, and sitting in your lap if at all possible, a Crestie is right for you! We're lovers. :-)
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Tad is a unique little dog. And by "unique" I mean odd-looking to most people. When I first got him, he was in horrible shape (physically), smelled disgusting (from the food he was eating) and had infections all over his skin (he's allergic to flea bites and was COVERED in fleas). In addition to all that, his previous owner shaved his already infected skin and made it even more raw and painful-looking. In short, he looked truly awful. Everyone who saw him - or saw pictures of him - thought he was the ugliest thing they ever laid eyes on. And that broke my heart. Yes, I know - he didn't know or care what they thought and said about him, but it made ME feel bad for him! He honestly is the sweetest little boy ever, and I wanted a place for him to share about his adventures and not be judged by the way he looks. :~) So as much fun as he's having with this blog, it's more than that for me. I appreciate everyone who is his friend, who experiences his life with him through the blog, and who doesn't let his naked little body taint their view of him. So THANK YOU! He's a blast to live with, and we both hope you enjoy reading about his continuing life with his Mean Sister Fig.... And since I have the blog, here's a video of what Tad does when he's done pooping. He's slightly effeminate, if you ask me, but he claims it's a very masculine adaptation of the "cover-up scratch" that all the other normal dogs do. You be the judge:
Fig also did this a lot:
She got in lots of trouble for going under there, but we sure had fun running around!
Friday, May 25, 2007
From Massah: Actually, I think we just got a weird one, but he's right - it does not fit! Anydog want a corduroy jacket? It's a Woolrich (from Target) and it's a size Small, but it's a bit smaller than the regular Small's.
It has velcro straps around the neck and the chest, but the neck opening is about 1 inch smaller than normal and the chest strap is around 2 inches shorter than normal. I'm completely useless with a needle and thread, so it's a no-go with the alteration option.
It's never been worn (unless you count me trying to shove Tad into it - which was fairly amusing, admittedly...) and is brand new - I'll mail it to anydog who wants it - for free! I hate returning things (and I lost the receipt) but don't want to just throw it away, so if you or somedog you know could use it please email us! firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, May 24, 2007
I don't see it any similarities whatsoever. This is what I see:
See? Isn't that much more accurate?
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Don't I look handsome? (even if I do say so myself!)
Here we are together in our new attire!
Massah says we're beautiful. And I believe her. 100%.
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Tyler and Sarah
Add to My Profile More Videos
Massah said "no more dogs!" but I'm wondering what my chances are with one of these...?
And secondly I've been tagged to post a silly picture. I looked through all my files, but I didn't see any silly situations that were captured on film! How strange, because Massah always says I'm silly! Here's kind of a weird one, though. You can see my teethies! And a close-up of my nose!
My girl laughed so hard at your comments on yesterday's post! Some of you doggies said that I looked so excited in the video and that you'd never seen me that happy! I must just post pictures of me being scared and quiet on this blog! I'm usually running around and throwing things up in the air! Massah calls me a pogo stick, because I'm always jumping, jumping, jumping all over the place! I am a happy, HAPPY doggin who likes to express myself joyfully! :) I'll have to work on finding more pictures of me being crazy/happy like I am usually. Here's a vidoe of me playing. Massah caught me at the end of my chasing-my-tail extravaganza, but it's a good representation of what goes on in our house most of the time. I'm running around amusing myself, and Fig (likes to think she) is protecting us from the mass murders who apparently spy on us every night. Massah was changing the sheets and getting ready to do laundry so that's why everything is sprawled out all over.
Ahhh... that was also before I started having trouble with my tummy area, hence the bone that was available to me. Boy I sure do miss those things....
Monday, May 21, 2007
But I have good news of great joy! Since I have a couple "conditions" that make it impossible for me to eat anything good (like bones and treats and such), Massah doesn't usually take any chances and try new things. She's tired of cleaning up all kinds of things that have left my body in ways they shouldn't (and of spending massive amounts of money at the vet'narins). But on the advice of Nanook, she ordered some of these:
Sam's Yams! I was so happy when I realized she actually ordered them! And I didn't really believe it until they came in the mail! But one day they just showed up on our porch! Oh glorious day! Look how happy this little guy is! He's so happy I think he might be humping it!
That's how happy I was (minus the humping, I've never done that) when they came!!! This was when we first got them!
I look a little silly...
But I wasn't worried about how I LOOKED - I got a yummy delicious TREAT for the first time in years and years! Okay, in months, but it feels like years!
Mean Sister Fig liked them too, the little pig!
And the best part - THEY DIDN'T MAKE ME SICK!!!!! We got them on Thursday night, and Massah made me wait until the weekend was over to make sure they were going to stay down, and now I can officially say "THESE ARE MY NEW FAVORITEST THINGS IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE WOLRD EVER! OF THE UNIVERSE!!"
Friday, May 18, 2007
Thursday, May 17, 2007
Oh my gosh!!! Look at that!!! I ran away from her and jumped onto Massah's bed to be safe! What in the world is that woman doing there?!?! I'm pretty sure she was not there a couple days ago.... Evidently her name is "Victoria" and she has some sort of "secret"!!!!!
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
And sat on Massah's lap - lots of people make me nervous sometimes.
The little-one-who-kinda-looked-like-me did the same thing. Her nose isn't as pointy as mine though.
I also got to see my Massah-in-law again! I LOVE her!
And I got to see the other boy I don't really have a name for.
I really like him though. He has lots of good stuff in him room, and if he leaves his door open I sometimes go in there to make pee pee on his floor. He doesn't know I do that. But mostly I curled up on Massah's lap.
I'm still resting up!
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
3. Since IT's been here, I've gotten a lot more appreciation from Massah. I hear a lot more "Good girl!" and "That's a nice one!" and other such good things. I think she understands what a wonderful, intelligent, loyal, good-looking dog I am, now that she has something else to compare me to.
And now, just because I can, here is another disturbingly abnormal picture of IT.
Now I KNOW you all helped IT convince himself that IT's a dog, but I'm still not sure. Just because ITs pee'er is on the belly doesn't mean squat. Look at it!!! I've seen all the other dogs on his precious little "friends list" (or so he likes to think) and NONE of you look like IT. I've seen several gorgeous specimens of Bostons on there (Joey, Bruin, Ruby) but nope... no other bald, albino rodent-looking things. I'm not allowed to try and give IT away, so I'm not going to. But if you come to my blog and leave me a comment I'll see if I can work something out: here.
Monday, May 14, 2007
Friday, May 11, 2007
Thursday, May 10, 2007
My life is a mess right now.
Everything is going badly.
I thought I conquored my fear of the scary spiral stairs, but come to find out - I'm just as scared of them as I was last week!
I try and try to go up them, but I always get scared half-way up and then I'm stuck! And then I try to jump down, but because they CURVE I can't jump straight down and end up jumping into the side of the railings.
And Massah keeps yelling at me for trying to go up them. She thinks I'm going to jump and hurt myself. Which I did last night - I scraped my leg falling into the railing when I tried to jump down one time. But it just makes me mad that I can't do it!
And now she wants to put a baby gate at the bottom so I can't try to go up them. And that makes me angry too, because I want to try! I want to go up them by myself! I don't want to be scared! I don't want to be a frightened little puppy! I want to be a big strong man who can go up and down WHENEVER HE WANTS!
But right now I'm going to go hide under a blanket and cry. And I don't even have Mr. Hog E. Hoggerton to cuddle, because Mean Sister Fig tried to murder him and now Massah won't let me have him unsupervised because his innards are coming out and she doesn't want me to eat them!
My life is falling apart!!!!!
Wednesday, May 9, 2007
And then later that night:
It's not my favorite. I'd rather curl up in a ball under the blankets. I don't have any hair so I have to circle up to retain my body heat! :-)
And now I'm gonna tag Nanook (I want to see big he looks all spread out!), my new friend Lorenza (and her short little legs!), and Balboa (my Mean Sister Fig made me request you, Balboa - she's too embarrassed to do it herself....). Tag - you're IT!
Tuesday, May 8, 2007
Whew! I was tired after that excitement so I laid down and took a nap. Look how close I got to Mean Sister Fig! I don't think she even knew I was there.
So all in all it was a good night. I made it upstairs by myself and I squirmed close enough to Fig when I was sleeping that I got to touch her! What more could I ask for?!